year 2008 has seen a migration from smooth rounder designs (better to carry) to wide rectangular cubes (opens up to a tiny notebook), more so on higher models introduced here . original makers like Sharp and Casio are realizing no-frills dictionary alone would have to include colorful touch-screen opening up multimedia capabilities . got much-more-than-you-can-imagine installed, perhaps with the exception of Navigation, that it’s a good bet even the freakiest mania wouldn’t have gone through ALL the add-ons when its time to sell for an upgrade come next year .
in the order of over-all popularity with on-line discount price,
top-of-the-line models produced from December 2008 :
all 4 companies very popular in Korea .
HanNuri Biz Nurian X35(4GB) W311,000
4.3″ touch-screen LCD with 3-level zoom; mp3; video; FM; txt viewer; pronunciation; SDHC slot;
Dictionaries : 22 English, 15 Japanese, 9 Chinese,
+ 13 travel aid for Kor, Eng, Chi, Jap, Fra, Ger, Spa, Ita, Por, Thai, Rus, Viet, Indo,
– 4 Korean & Chinese character dic.
– 4 English reading dic’s.
– 4 Chinese specialized terms.
* Nuri Eng-Kor & Eng-Chi Translator
– Kor, Eng, Chi, Jap character-recognition
– pocket book ability
– retrieveable Lithium Ion battery 1050mAh
14.1 x 8.7 x 2cm 200g.
Sharp RD-EM1 DMB(4GB) W339,000
4.3″ touch-screen LCD, DMB-TV, mp3, video, FM, ebook, pronunciation, SD/MMC slot, 24pin recharge,
Dictionaries : 15 English, 6 Japanese, 12 Chinese, 3 Korean, 24 extra including economic, legal, banking, Korean & World history, etc.
+ 11 travel aid for Eng, Jap, Chi, Rus, Viet, Indo, Thai, Fra, Ger, Ita, Spa,
– 49 Korean & 20 Chinese audio books,
– audio in mp3, wma, asf, wav, ogg codecs,
– video in mpeg4, wmv9, Xvid codecs, with smi captions,
– record in wma format,
– photo album in jpg, bmp, gif, png format,
– ebook readable from dnp & txt file,
– human pronunciation in Eng, Jap, Chi,
and artificial Voxware in Eng, Jap, Chi, Kor,
– pocketbook ability,
– retrievable 3.7V 1800mAh battery,
– 24pin cellphone recharger and via USB,
14 x 8 x 2.2cm 260g.
iRiver DicPl D35 Edu(8GB) W343,000
4.3″ touch-screen TFT LCD with 3-level zoom, jog-shuttle, mp3, video, FM, ebook, pronunciation, micro SD slot, 24pin recharge,
Dictionaries : 20 English, 11 Japanese, 13 Chinese, 13 Korean,
+ 27 extra including : 3 Eng. basic, 7 Jap.test & learning, 5 Chi.specialized, Korean & Britannica encyclopedia,
+ 12 travel aid for Eng, Jap, Chi, Rus, Viet, Indo, Thai, Fra, Ger, Ita, Spa, Braz,
– 7 audio books each in Kor, Jap-Kor, Chi-Kor,
– audio in mp3, wma, asf, ogg codecs, via stereo speakers,
– video in avi & wmv codecs, and Flash Lite 2.02,
– record voice in wmv,
– ebook in txt, csd, pdf files,
– native pronunciation in Eng, Jap, Chi and artificial Voxware,
– character-recognition in Chi, Jap, Eng,
– pocketbook ability,
– 24pin cellphone recharger and also USB takes 4:30 hours,
– battery lasts 15 hours in dic, 35 hours mp3, 5 hours video,
14 x 8.9 x 2.2cm 283g.
ATree UD100B(8GB) W370,000
4.3″ touch-screen LCD with 3-level zoom, DMB-TV, mp3, video, FM, ebook, pronunciation, SD slot, 24pin recharge,
Dictionaries : 27 English(YBM & Collins), 11 Japanese(YBM & Nexus), 13 Chinese(YBM & Nexus), 3 Korean,
+ 25 extra : 8 Eng.test, IT, business, etc. 6 Jap.tests, 9 Chi.practices, Korean economic and cultural dic.
– 12 Eng, 6 Jap.audio books,
– audio in mp3, wma codecs, SKT melon files,
– video in avi & wmv codecs,
– audio recording in wma,
– ebook via txt,
– image viewer by jpg, gif, bmp, png files,
– pronunciation in Eng, Jap, Chi, via artificial RealSpeak technology,
– yellow highlighting, flash games, pocketbook ability,
– recharge via 24pin and USB,
– 3.7V Lithium Polymer battery installed,
– usage : dic.20hrs, mp3 60hrs, video 8hrs, DMB 7hrs,
black color 14.4 x 8.3 x 2.1cm 287g.