when you sign-up your smart-phone for a regular subscription plan with a cellular carrier, you choose a plan which alots specific limit on
- voice calls,
- and data transfer
‘Data Sharing’ allows you to share the above ‘3’ with another device such as an iPad (Cellular Model) WITH extra-fee .
- Pro’s : you can save money by paying together, as long as you are NOT a heavy user,
- Con’s : this will drain battery on your originating smart-phone substantially,
both KT and SKT cellular carriers offered 3G Data Sharing Plans with :
- approximately additional W3000 per Month
- and purchase a Data-Sharing-specific USiM Card for approximately W8000
to insert into the second device .
and now both carriers are offering LTE Data Sharing as well (KT from December 11th and SKT from December 31st) where the Monthly addition is increased to approximately W8000 .
Korea Tech BLog’s very-own
Data-Sharing F. A. Q.
– what you always wanted to know about another confusing service
but might as well find out now
as mobile data-transmission is sped-up from 3G to LTE –
- I still don’t get it . What is this and how does it work ?
- Do I have to get a new SiM Card for this ?
- Can I also use this on a Wi-Fi ONLY iPad ?
- is SMS Messaging included in this Monthly allotment for data usage ?
- How much portion of original data allotment plan, can I use for the second device ?
- What happens when the second device fills the whole allotment allowance ?
- OK, this is Data-Sharing . What is Tethering, then ?- answers coming up –
– Korea Tech BLog on New Year’s Eve 2012 –